To properly saute Brussels Sprouts, you’ll need a fair amount of olive oil. Don’t worry, it’s heart healthy. Just don’t overdo it or it will be greasy. Thinly slicing the sprouts helps them cook more evenly, and seems to give a broader appeal.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or generous amount
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- Chiffonade or thinly slice brussels sprouts julienne style. Set aside.
- Finely chop shallots.
- In a large skillet, heat a generous but not excessive amount of olive oil. Add the shallots for 1 minute, then add the brussels sprouts. Give them a chance to brown, then give them a stir and cook until thery neicely browned and just tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Toast the nuts in a heavy skillet in a small amount of olive oil. Watch carefully so they don’t burn, as it happens quickly.
- When the brussels sprouts are lightly cooked, add the toasted nuts. Season to taste with kosher salt and plenty of cracked black pepper and serve.